04 Replacing the though hull fittings

The diesel engine exhaust went through the hull just on the water line, and had no sea cock on it. The sea cocks for the cockpit sewage was also on the waterline and were the originals from 1976.

I wanted to replace these, but also to move them up a bit, so that I could leave the sea cocks open when Matilda is in the home port. (I do close the sea cocks that are under the water line when I leave the boat unattended).

The first problem was the access. On the starboard side, there were 4 batteries that had to be removed in order to access the floor. This was rutten:

dsc00546

and the silencer from the diesel engine exhaust was bolted to it (the holes can be seen to the left). I cut the old seacocks and built a shelf for the silencer.

dsc00557

I used epoxi and glass fibre/carbon fibre to cover the old holes. The new ones were drilled some 15 cm higher. (The picture below is from the exhaust)

dsc00577

I bought stainless sea cocks and the end result looks like this on the outside (before painting the water line):

dsc00681

On the inside, like this:

dsc00745

dsc00746

Yes, I did replace the other sea cocks too, moving the sea water intake from below the gear box to the front of the engine for better access…

Advertisements

One response to “04 Replacing the though hull fittings

  1. Pingback: Maxi 95 Ny avgasgenomföring « batbloggen

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s