04 repairs 2001

I do not have many pictures from the Summer of 2001, but this one shows the state at the end of the summer…

The winter repairs:

During 2001, I have done a lot of work on STOUT. This page shows the result at the end of the year.

I have STOUT in a machine shed on the countryside just outside Lund. With the heavy-duty wagon, she can be moved with a truck or a tractor. (She is lifted a bit to take the weight off the wheels during winter)

Scraping paint inside:

Using a heat gun, I spent many hours getting the old paint off. Then I sanded the hull and frames to get a raw surface that can be treated with linseed oil.

In the forepeak, the hull has many replaced planks (not made of oak..)

Under the port berth in the cabi. I will cover upp the whole thing with the interior and with panels, so that the treatment can be repeated every third year or so…

Dismantling the cockpit:

The bulkhead to the cabin was competely rotten. I removed all the mahogany trimmings (carefully, but still cracked some of them) and then tried to release the sodden plywood in one piece (so that I can use it to make new panels…)

I then continued to remove the whole cockpit (which was also rotten in places). With this removed, I will be able to access the hull on the side of, behind and under the cockpit. These parts have not been cared for in many years, it seems…..

The cockpit bulkhead pieces…

A lot of stuff is piled on the deck and cabin…

Cockpit from inside the cabin. On the left side one can see that the cabin lining is rotten where the bulkhead was.

Propeller shaft.

Cockpit aft starboard side. The hull under the side deck can now be accessed (scaped and oiled)

A lot of stuff is piled on the deck and cabin..

view from the cabin roof.

The cockpit from the aft. The bulkhead to the cabin is gone (cabin floor is seen…

Engine:

The gear has stuck in reverse, so I need to lift the engine out and have it overhauled.

While the engine is gone, I can access the bilge and clean it up. I will also paint the whole bilge with red lead powder paint.

Other things:

The pinrails and belay pins were black, having been treated with linseed oil and tar. I scraped this off and found Teak! After the first layer of linseed oil, the result looked like this:

The wooden blocks were also black from tar. I have scraped a few and had them lying in raw linseed oil over night to saturate the wood. I will then apply boiled linseed oil to build up a surface….

Cockpit from inside the cabin. On the left side one can see that the cabin lining is rotten where the bulkhead was.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s